Monday, May 21, 2012

Parking Lot Pumper

I just returned from my lunch break, which I spent hooked to a Medela breast pump in the front seat of my running car.  Why, you ask, didn’t I just use the Mothers’ Room that my employer has so graciously provided to me?  Because my power cord is MIA somewhere within a 20 mile radius, and I my boobs can’t wait on the results of the search party, so for the day I have to resort to Plan B: the car adapter. 
I really don’t mind pumping in the car.  Aside from cringing away from the man who has walked by my car 5 times on his heart-healthy lunch break, the accommodations are really quite comfortable:  leather seats, air conditioning, music, a cup holder with a cool drink at my fingertips.  What more could a lactating mother ask for? 
Well… since I mentioned it, how about accommodations half that luxurious for ALL lactating mothers?  I got to thinking about it, and it made me wonder what women who work at, say for example, McDonald’s do in a situation like this.  First of all, does  McDonald’s even have a nursing room?  And if they don’t, what do the mothers do who need to pump on their breaks during their shift? Do they have to go to their cars as well?  Where is the milk stored after they pump?  Hopefully they don’t have to leave it in the car until they leave for the day.  It just doesn’t seem like a good idea, if you ask me. 
My point is that I’m getting the feeling that breastfeeding “rights” may be made a priority more for women who work for white collar companies, as opposed to companies where the employees receive minimum wage.  I could be way off, but I’m just doing the math to figure out where exactly a nursing room would fit into the layout of the McDonald’s or Arby’s or Burger King building.  For the number of employees that occupy the back space, it doesn’t seem likely that there would be one private room (aside from a restroom) dedicated to employees who need to pump.  And if these mothers don’t have the proper accommodations, how are they able to breastfeed their children, if they so wish, for any extended length of time?  And if they aren’t able to breastfeed their children because their employer doesn’t allocate the basic necessities to them, how is that right?  I am not using the word “fair” because I realize that life isn’t fair… but I’m referring to right and wrong, not fairness. 
So that brings me to my one question:  If you are or know a breastfeeding mother who works at a fast food chain, are there proper accommodations for you to pump at work?  I appreciate any details you are willing to give!
Signing off.
BkB

1 comment:

  1. Employers in Tennessee are required to provide reasonable unpaid breaks for nursing mothers. For businesses with more than 50 employees (I think that is the right number) they are required to provide a private room other than a toilet stall.
    As a nursing mom, I often felt awkward talking to HR about my needs. It is the most intimate thing an you do it 3-4 times a day. This blog post is empathic...always needed.

    ReplyDelete